Thursday 14 November 2013

The Highwayman Revisited

I was a caveman, and I let the fire go out,
The last thing we saw was a snout.
Six wildcats came inside and tore my clan apart,
But don’t cry for me for I lived on as a fart.
A smell that lingers in that ancient cave of bones,
And I am not alone.

I was a hired knight, amongst the peasants with their plows,
Then one asshole failed to bow.
I drew my blade and bade him to speak his last words,
He proved to have more family than I had swords,
Revolting peasantry then cast my great lord down,
Now we’re part of the ground.

I was a scientist, we’d left Earth to the undead,
Space stations were our homes instead.
The sensors warned me of new germs in our biome,
In panic’s grip I flipped the switch to blow the dome.
We all perished there in the hard vacuum of space,
We still float around the place.

I was pure data, fifty billion years from now,
We’d evolved to that somehow.
Odds were I’d occupy one single quantum thread,
By chance I was across the universe instead,
My sudden presence sparked a singularity,
Now everything is me,
Failure’s sure as entropy,
Entropy,
Entropy,
Entropy,
Entropy,
Entropy.

The preceding work was a shameless and clumsy parody (inspired by my disastrous multiplayer styles in Civilization V).

No comments:

Post a Comment