Thursday 6 March 2014

Simple Pleasures of Youth, Simple Measures Uncouth

The latest video at Did You Know Gaming got me reminiscing about just how much I ruined the drama of Mother 3 for myself by naming the main character "Stoney" and his ill-fated brother "Dildo". The latter, in five mere characters, managed to completely destroy several of the most poignant moments. This, of course, represents a lifelong gaming habit.
It seems like nothing now, in our world of South Park this and Grand Theft Auto that, but back in the day it was a big deal (to me at least) to make a computer swear. Eight-year-old me wasted countless hours 'tricking' Therapist  into cursing, and creating characters with problems that weren't necessarily matters for a psychiatrist.  

What seems to be the problem?
FARTING NON STOP
And what is your problem with FARTING NON STOP?     
MY HOUSE IS GONE
...and so on.

Therapist was one of hundreds of pirated games that came with our secondhand C64 - and the cracker vanity pages most of them booted up with were works of profane (ASCII) art. Granted they showcased the unfortunate sexist and homophobic profanity that was so preferred in the 80s, but without them I never would have learned that, in the opinion of "The Bust Brothers", "AMIGA SUX DIX" and "DONNAZABITCHDONNAZABITCHDONNAZABITCH".

Things only escalated in high school, once I knew all the swears and had access to IBM-compatible computers. My friends and I managed to get the rudimentary text-to-speech software locked out on the computer lab machines in fairly short order; one robot voice phoenetically reciting passages from Anthrax' "Startin' Up a Posse" while another repeatedly admitted to farting failed to amuse our instructor, it seems.

And yes, I was one of them - those who will forgo the glory of a high score to enter ASS as their initials. S.T.U.N. Runner in particular was glorious for the fact that it gave you sixteen characters for your "name" on the leaderboard - and maddening for making you enter your missive of choice with a fucking steering wheel. If it wasn't for the timer resetting between letters, the best anyone could have pulled off beyond the classic initials was 'POOOOOOOOOOOOOOO'.
Ha! Some kid's gonna read that, then totally say it to his grandma! ANACHRY!

To this day, I remain extremely bitter that arcade-to-console ports of the 80s and 90s tended to preserve the high score table but remove the ability to enter even fragmented curses - all too often, the best sequences of intials were censored to "AAA", "CAP" or similar gibberish. I maintain an ongoing protest by giving my Nethack characters and FTL ships rather...earthy...monickers on every run.
I was just informed by Fire Emblem: Awakening (2013) that my forged spellbooks 'Shit Tornado' and '666 Gigafuck' "contain[ed] numerals or words that others may find offensive" and "may not be viewable by other users" - but  luckily, that's not the point. Warning aside, Fire Emblem doesn't see fit to protect me from language I entered myself. This is much appreciated - it respects my presumed maturity as a gamer even when presented clear evidence of its absence.

* Pinball, as always, was the exception. Setting a high score there was achievement enough to merit a real callsign, seeing "ASS" flash rapidly on the LED screen be damned. On Pinball Arcade in my own home, of course, it's wall-to-wall ASS.

No comments:

Post a Comment